Friday, May 24, 2013

Google Play Music




Google Play music is an app by Google on android devices, and I never used it or even knew it exsisted until this past week when I got an email from the play store about an update including an all you can eat on demand music service for $9.99 a month. Part of the promotion is thirty days free to try it out, and if you sign up now they will give it to you at an introductory price of $7.99 a month. So I put in my credit card info and signed up for the service. Of course after signing up I quickly canceled the monthly renewal just in case I don't want to keep it I wouldn't want to get charged because I lost track of yet another subscription service I have ongoing.

Okay so the price seems right but is the service any good? Hell yeah! It's just like another service I had used in the past Spotify, although I cancelled that a while back and I heard they started to limit how many times you could listen to a certain song in a given month. With Play Music they advertise no such limits and their selection is quite impressive. There has yet to be one song I searched for that was not available. Another cool feature is I can use the voice search feature from google now to find a song and start playing it. Of course this feature just like google now works best on wifi or 4G but still it's cool and works quite well. For instance I asked Google Now to play Flash's Theme by Queen and within seconds I listening. In addition to playing on demand music they also have stations similar to Pandora.

So Google Play Music gets my praises without question, but will I be keeping it? To be honest that depends on how much I use it over the thirty day trial. I already pay for Pandora One at the yearly rate of Twenty some odd dollars and to pay $8 a month for another music service may not be worth it unless I really use the on demand feature allot. Yes over the past couple days I have been using it allot but I don't know if I listen to enough music these days to justify it. However if you don't own allot of music this is a great way to be introduced to whatever you want for one low monthly rate. Me I'm still stuck in the past and pretty much listen to same five bands I have for over a decade Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Queen, and Metallica and I already have most CD's from these bands, but it's cool to not have to use up my phones memory and have any song I want available with a quick search. In closing I say at least give the trial a chance, just remember to cancel the service before next bill date. For more info check out the official site on the Play Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment