Monday, May 20, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness







Wasn't sure I was even going to do a review for this film, I mean what's the point everyone who wants to see this movie has probably done so already or will do so very soon. Not to mention there are probably a million other blogs out there with a review, so what's the point right? Well my blog is really for me, yes it is available for anyone to read, but in the end it is a personal account of things I enjoy watching and doing and what not. Hopefully I'm still alive in twenty or thirty years and I can revisit all this and think back fondly. But enough about that, if your on this page or listening to the audio it's because you want to know about Star Trek Into Darkness, so lets begin. For starters I went to go see the movie this past Saturday May 18th, and I seen it in IMAX 3D at the matinee price of $12, when compared to the usual $19 - $20 I'll call it a good deal.

This is the second film in the reboot of a series that originated before I was even born, and it is quite amazing that after so many TV series and movies the Star Trek franchise is even relevant anymore, but thanks to J. J. Abrams much needed refresh Star Trek is alive and well. If you didn't see the first film, I'd suggest doing that first as it was really good and sets the stage for the second. If you've seen the original TV series you'll know these characters just realize that they are alternate versions of those characters living in a different timeline thanks the the original Spock coming back in time and changing history. That's actually as much as you probably need to know, as these movies are more action based than story driven. Visually both of the new Star Treks are beautiful to watch, and do a great job of depicting a futuristic society with the technology of deep space exploration. I also enjoy the cast, we have Chris Pine as the charismatic Capt. Kirk who thinks he always knows what's right, but despite coming off as arrogant at times would do anything to protect his crew and friends. Then we have Zachary Quinto(who I personally loved in both Heroes and American Horror Story) as the logic based half Human/Vulcan Mr. Spock who is the complete opposite of Kirk and makes decisions based on logic thus leading to much comedic dialogue between the two. The rest of the cast is great as well, but probably a bit underused especially Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard McCoy, who seemed to be a much more important character in the old series and films.

I will try not to give away too much of the story as to avoid spoilers, but I will tell you there are two villains in this film, one of which will be well known to any fans of the series, the other just comes out of nowhere. Neither of the villains are really fleshed out though and if it wasn't for the sake of nostalgia most people wouldn't even get the big deal about the one except for the fact that's he's causing destruction to get some kind of revenge for his people. The movie tries to mimic allot from a prior well known film in the series with variations, one such scene involves Spock yelling out a certain name instead of Kirk, and I couldn't help but laugh during this scene as it was kind of cheesy. One issue I have with the movie is I never felt any real danger for our main characters, every time things seem to be at their worst things just turn around and everything is okay, almost like a cartoon. Even in the beginning when Kirk is reprimanded for breaking rules, and it seems rather grim for him, only a few scenes later it doesn't even matter as he's back in command.

Despite it's flaws, and breaking away from the more traditional thinking man's Star Trek this one is certainly worth seeing. It's a big budget treat for the eyes with lots of funny interactions between the cast. There is also plenty of action more akin to a Star Wars film than a Trek one but times are different and our fathers Star Trek probably wouldn't make the cut today, and in the end it's all about making money for the makers of the film, and mindless action does sell. If and when they do make another I would like to see more of a development between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, an element I loved about the original that just doesn't seem the same in the reboots. We are told Spock and Kirk have this great friendship, but I don't just want to be told it, I want to feel it. To be fair though it's hard to convey that in a two hour movie and the old films had a 79 episodes prior to work off of so I understand why it's hard to do. Anyway if you like science fiction action movies this one is well worth seeing, and even if your not a fan of Star Trek these newer films do appeal to a much broader audience, so go check it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment